Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Fun with 'Pun'

Nischal's homework today was to write a page full of 'un' words. After losing a long negotiation  that he'd do it tomorrow coz 'tomorrow is a holiday!', he finally got his pencil and eraser to the book.

"I can't write! I don't know any 'un' words!"  was his declaration, threatening to drop it all and go back to the soccer ball.

Mom pitched in "I'll get you started. Ff .. un! "
"Fun?" Nischal said, although he was clearly re-evaluating mom's sanity associating this word to his current situation.
"What else?" mom asked.
"Pp - un. Pun!" he said.

I too nodded in surprise, wondering if he knew what it meant.

"What is 'pun' ? " asked his brother.

Before either of the adults could form their words, Nischal screamed out " I know, I know ! "
As we looked at him expectantly he blurted out "Pun means babies!"
As I slowly shook my head to correct him, he repeated " Yes. Our teacher told us. They do good things to everybody, and they look like babies!"
Looking at our disagreeing faces, he repeated with confidence, and said "yes, they also cover their heads like this" making a motion with both hands starting at the top of his head, down his cheeks and ending at his chin.

Mom realized first and laughed out loud. "No chinna, that's  'nun' ! "

Nischal just gave his mom with a "now who taught you english?" look.

No comments:

Post a Comment