Tuesday, August 11, 2015

The birthday gift

I'd just stepped into the house - from work.
 
"Papa, today was Sushanth's birthday!"
I nod absently.
"And I had nothing to give him! I gave him a 1 Rupee coin as gift! "
I pay attention and look at him with surprise/confusion.
"I tried calling Amma, but she didn't pick up. I didn't know what to do!" he continued, " so I took money from my box ( pocket money) and gave him"
I nod in appreciation, start walking in, and something strikes me. I turn back to him :
"Tell me this, I've given you more than 1 rupee, for sure. Have you spent that somewhere? "

He smiled ..like he was caught at something, and collected his thoughts quickly. 
"No, I had 10 rupees more. But I didn't want to give him everything just because it's his birthday", he smiles " .. so I thought I'll give him 1 rupee ".
I wanted to ask him what would 1 rupee buy, but I also appreciated that he thought about giving his friend something - not wait for his mom to buy a present at some later date.
So, I just smiled at him and walked on.

No comments:

Post a Comment